Driving in Australia



Driving in Australia

International Travellers

A bona-fide overseas visitor may drive in Australia if they hold a valid overseas drivers license and providing they are licensed for the class of vehicle they will be driving. Licenses must be carried at all times when in control of a vehicle. If the drivers license is not in the English language then a translation must be carried along with the permit. An International Drivers Permit is not sufficient by itself and must be accompanied by a valid drivers permit. For further information either visit the relevant State Road and Transport Authority on arrival and/or visit the web sites listed below.

Australian Interstate Travellers

Queensland Transport - http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/
New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/

For more information about getting around in Australia including links to public transport directories visit the getting around Australia section of this website.