Master By Research Degree
Masters by Research
A Masters by Research will build on the skills and knowledge you developed in your undergraduate degree. Supported by a research supervisor, you will undertake advanced research in your field and develop the skills to apply, and critically evaluate various research methodology.
Master's by research is a supervised degree that includes a thesis.
A master's thesis must be a substantial work, generally based on independent research, that shows:
- sound knowledge of the research subject
- evidence of independent thought
- ability to use clear and concise language.
Undertaking a master's thesis is a rewarding project, but it requires careful thought and significant planning.
You are required to submit a 30,000 - 60,000 word thesis. If you are conducting research in the creative arts (including creative writing, performance or visual arts), you can undertake a Masters by research in which the thesis submission includes creative work with an accompanying exegesis. Your final result will depend on the examination of your thesis.
You must have a Bachelors degree with a Distinction average in the final year, or equivalent qualification or professional experience demonstrating a capacity to undertake a Masters by research.
You must also demonstrate competency in English sufficient to work at a masters level by providing evidence of one or more of the following:
- completion of one or more degrees with English as the language of instruction and assessment, and undertaken in a predominantly English-speaking context
- two of the past five years of study were undertaken at a tertiary institution where English was the primary language of instruction
- you have an overall band score of not less than 6.5 in an International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) test with no individual band score below 6.0
- you achieved a score of not less than 92 with no section score less than 22 in the internet-based Teaching of English Foreign Language (TOEFL) test, or English proficiency equivalent
demonstrate competence in English equivalent to above
Two years full time study, or part time equivalent.